Projects, Collaborations & Grants
- 2020 EasyFAIR. Swissuniversities. In collaboration with ETHZ, ZHAW, HSLU.
- 2019 Renku proposal for GCP research credits. Google Cloud Platform GCP research credits grant.
- 2021 Renku Integration at FSO. Mandate with the Federal Statistics Office.
- 2020 BAG Health Data Science. Collaboration with the COVID Task Force.
- 2020 Deploying Renku in an offline environment. Collaboration with the Health2030 Genome Center.
- 2019 Renku deployment at Openshift. Mandate and collaboration with Red Hat.
- 2013 – 2018 Towards Resource Efficient Datacenters. Grant from Microsoft Research. Swiss Joint Research Center.
Kairos is a preemptive data center scheduler that runs without the need of task runtime estimates. It is implemented as part of Yarn and it uses Docker containers to achieve a lightweight preemption.
Source code: https://github.com/epfl-labos/kairos
Eagle and Hawk
Hawk is a Hybrid Data Center Scheduler presented at Usenix ATC 2015.
It takes the best of both worlds combining centralized and distributed schedulers. It has the following main features:
Hybrid Scheduling. Schedules Long jobs in a centralized way (better scheduling decisions) and Short jobs in a distributed way (better scheduling latency).
Work stealing. To do better load balance when a node is free it will contact another one and ‘steal’ the short-latency-sensitive jobs in the queue.
Partitioning. It prevents Long jobs from taking all the resources in the cluster so that Short jobs do not experience head-of-line blocking.
Eagle is a hybrid scheduler presented at SoCC 2016 and it aims to avoid the Head-of-Line blocking that short jobs experience in distributed schedulers by providing and approximate/fast view of the Long jobs.
Source code: https://github.com/epfl-labos/eagle
- 2013 Research intern in Systems and Networking Simulation Research for Fabric Computers, Microsoft Research Cambridge. Anthony Rowston.
- 2012 Large-scale task scheduling in Hadoop. LABOS, EPFL. Prof. Willy Zwaenepoel.
- 2012 Domain Specific Language for Distributed Algorithms in Scala. Master project LSR, EPFL, Prof. André Schiper.
- 2011 Invariant Verifier for Parallel Programs Semester project LAMP, EPFL, Martin Odersky.
- 2011 STAMP in Java: Benchmark for Software Transactional Memory. Semester project LPD, EPFL, Prof. Rachid Guerraoui.